CHINAEUROPE AFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
Home / Americas

New York City to install 1,500 security barriers

Xinhua | Updated: 2018-01-03 14:26

NEW YORK - New York City plans to install 1,500 new security barriers in high-profile locations to guard against vehicle attacks and other terror-related incidents.

New York Police Department Commissioner James O'Neill (L) and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (seated) attend a news conference near additional bollards erected on sidewalks and plazas to protect pedestrians in Times Square, New York City, New York, U.S., January 2, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the plan at a press conference held in Times Square on Tuesday. He said metal bollards will replace some of the concrete cubes and barriers that have been in place as temporary measures near pedestrian areas.

De Blasio said it was part of the city's effort to spend 50 million U.S. dollars on public areas that are vulnerable to attacks.

New York City made breaking news quite a few times last year.

On Dec. 11, four people were injured after a man set off an improvised explosive device at the city's busiest commuter hub near Times Square during rush hour. Mayor de Blasio called the incident an attempted terrorist attack.

On Oct. 31, eight people were killed and a dozen more injured after a truck plowed into pedestrians near the World Trade Center.

On May 18, one person was killed and 22 others were injured when a car ran into pedestrians in Times Square.

BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US