CHINAEUROPE AFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
Home / Technology

US reaches deal with China's ZTE

By Ma Si | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2018-06-08 00:41
ZTE Logo seen at the Mobile World Congress held in Barcelona, Spain, Feb 28, 2018. [Photo/VCG]

Chinese telecom maker ZTE Corp has signed a deal with the US government that will lift a ban on it from buying US technology, US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said on Thursday.

Ross said that ZTE and its affiliates have agreed to pay a $1 billion fine and set aside $400 million in an escrow account. ZTE also agreed to make compliance measures to replace the US Commerce Department's ban on the company's purchase of components from American suppliers for seven years. In return, the US government will remove the ban imposed in April.

ZTE accounts for about 10 percent of the global telecom gear market and is the fourth-largest smartphone vendor in the US, according to data from China International Capital Corp. Also, American companies provide an estimated 25 percent to 30 percent of components in ZTE's equipment.

ZTE has a relationship with a string of US suppliers and supports nearly 130,000 high-tech jobs in the US. Experts said earlier that the US ban on ZTE would cause losses for American suppliers such as Qualcomm and Intel.

BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US