More Chinese evacuated from Libya

Updated: 2014-08-01 07:07


  Print Mail Large Medium  Small 分享按钮 0

TRIPOLI - Chinese embassy in Libya on Thursday has facilitated the evacuation of more Chinese nationals out of the warring Middle East country.

According to diplomatic sources, there were a total of 221 people in the latest group of Chinese being successfully evacuated.

However, as of this moment, there are still around 900 Chinese still in Libya on their own, said Yan Jianqun, a political counselor in the embassy.

Yan said that, by the local time 5pm (1500 GMT), 22 Chinese have passed the Ras Jadir border control between Tunisia and Libya while 121 on their way, while another 78 will take a Greek navy frigate to Greece.

Earlier on Monday, China issued warnings to its nationals in Libya, urging them to leave the country "as soon as possible," citing the deteriorating security situation on the ground.

The recent clashes in Libya between Islamist fighters and pro- secular militants have set many cities ablaze. Many feared that the fierce conflicts might turn into a full-fledged civil war.