Japan mulls intercepting DPRK's rocket
Updated: 2012-03-19 16:11
(Xinhua)
|
|||||||||
TOKYO - Japanese Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka said Monday he is mulling an order for the Self-Defense Forces to intercept a rocket that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) plans to launch next month if it passes through Japan's skies, local media reported.
Tanaka said the ministry would take thorough measures to protect Okinawa Prefecture and other parts of Japan if necessary, the public broadcaster NHK reported.
The ministry plans to deploy ground-based Patriot Advanced Capability-3 interceptors or PAC 3, missile defense system and Aegis-equipped destroyers, according to NHK.
Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba said on Monday that there is the possibility that the rocket would pass over areas in Okinawa Prefecture.
The DPRK announced last week it would launch an "earth observation" satellite, or the Kwangmyongsong-3, using a long-range rocket to mark the 100th birthday of late leader Kim Il-Sung.
The satellite would be launched from a station in North Phyongan province between April 12 and 16, the DPRK's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported, citing a spokesman for the Korean Committee for Space Technology.
Relief reaches isolated village
Rainfall poses new threats to quake-hit region
Funerals begin for Boston bombing victims
Quake takeaway from China's Air Force
Obama celebrates young inventors at science fair
Earth Day marked around the world
Volunteer team helping students find sense of normalcy
Ethnic groups quick to join rescue efforts
Most Viewed
Editor's Picks
|
|
|
|
|
|
Today's Top News
Health new priority for quake zone
Xi meets US top military officer
Japan's boats driven out of Diaoyu
China mulls online shopping legislation
Bird flu death toll rises to 22
Putin appoints new ambassador to China
Japanese ships blocked from Diaoyu Islands
Inspired by Guan, more Chinese pick up golf
US Weekly
|
|















