Zhang Dejiang: Always bearing the people in mind
Updated: 2012-12-24 22:02
BEIJING - From an "educated youth" in the poor countryside to Party secretary of economically booming provinces and then to the position of vice-premier, Zhang Dejiang has made a steady advance into the top decision-making body of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
Zhang, 66, was elected a member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the 18th CPC Central Committee on Nov 15.
He also serves as vice-premier of the State Council, where he is in charge of industry, transport, social security and other important sectors. In addition, he is director of the State Council Work Safety Committee.
Before his elevation to the top leadership in November, Zhang recently reshaped the image of Southwest China's metropolis of Chongqing, maintained its social stability and pushed its economic development as the municipality's Party secretary, a post he held between March and November this year.
"Governing for the people" has been the principle Zhang has abided by ever since he began his political career.
"No matter how high our cadres' posts are, we are still members of the general public. We must always bear the people in mind," he has said.
- Zhang Dejiang - Member of Standing Committee of Political Bureau of CPC Central Committee
- Zhang Dejiang: Liangjiang New Area should lead the way
- Zhang Dejiang elected CPC chief of Chongqing
- Zhang Dejiang
- Zhang Dejiang -- Chinese vice-premier
- Zhang Dejiang -- Politburo member of CPC Central Committee
- Relief reaches isolated village
- Rainfall poses new threats to quake-hit region
- Funerals begin for Boston bombing victims
- Quake takeaway from China's Air Force
- Obama celebrates young inventors at science fair
- Earth Day marked around the world
- Volunteer team helping students find sense of normalcy
- Ethnic groups quick to join rescue efforts
Supplies pour into isolated villages
All-out efforts to save lives
Industry savior: Big boys' toys
Liaoning: China's oceangoing giant
Today's Top News
Health new priority for quake zone
Xi meets US top military officer
Japan's boats driven out of Diaoyu
China mulls online shopping legislation
Bird flu death toll rises to 22
Putin appoints new ambassador to China
Japanese ships blocked from Diaoyu Islands
Inspired by Guan, more Chinese pick up golf