Xi celebrates National Day with ethnic minority representatives
Updated: 2015-10-01 06:23
Chinese President Xi Jinping meets with representatives from five autonomous regions in Beijing, Sept 30, 2015. [Photo/Xinhua]
BEIJING - Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday met with 13 representatives from the five autonomous regions, invited to the National Day celebrations for their contribution to ethnic unity.
The five autonomous regions, Inner Mongolia, Guangxi, Tibet, Ningxia and Xinjiang, host the majority of population of the nation's ethnic groups, which account for nearly one tenth of the total population.
Xi acknowledged the representatives' devotion to ethnic solidarity. "I wish to take this opportunity to convey to you, your fellow folks and all the 56 ethnic groups, my best wishes and festival greetings."
All people of various ethnic groups have created the People's Republic of China, and made outstanding contributions to the nation's development, the president said.
"I have stressed many times that not a single ethnic group should be left behind in the process of comprehensively building a moderately prosperous society," he said.
He urged people from all ethnic groups to love each other like brothers and sisters, exchange more and make efforts to safeguard unity.
Two representatives, the Enwaer sisters from Xinjiang, spent two months making an embroidery inscribed with words "striving for the Chinese dream with one heart." They have sent the embroidery to Xi as a gift.
"We've never expected to be invited here to celebrate National Day. It's the greatest honor of my life," the sisters said.
- Robot monk with artificial intelligence makes debut
- Nursing homes, more Chinese old people's final choices
- Hit-and-run luxury car driver detained in Beijing
- Park officials say glass cracks don't affect walkway's safety
- China becomes smaller for tourists
- Scenic spots packed with tourists on National Day Holiday
- Russian warplanes hit IS targets in Syria
- Senior US envoy to visit Japan, S Korea, China
- Russia, US agree to cooperate in solving Syria crisis: Russian FM
- Iranian President calls Iran deal victory over war
- LatAm experts praise Xi on yuan, globalization
- Evidence found of summertime water flows on Mars: study