Toll gates closed after smog hits Shandong Province
Updated: 2015-11-30 11:52
JINAN - More than 200 expressway toll gates in east China's Shandong Province were closed on Monday due to a persistent smog since Saturday.
The province issued a yellow alert on Monday morning as visibility in parts of the region dropped below 200 meters. The heavy smog is likely to continue in the morning, according to the provincial meteorological center.
The public has been warned to take protective measures when engaging in outdoor activities, and those who suffer from respiratory diseases are advised to stay indoors.
Smog has shrouded much of northern China including Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, Henan, Shandong, Shanxi and Shaanxi.
China has a four-tier color-coded weather warning system, with red representing the most severe weather, followed by orange, yellow and blue.
- Britain's Cameron says time to bomb militants in Syria
- Russia accept full suspension from athletics
- Turkish and Russian FMs to meet in Belgrade
- S.Korea, DPRK agree to hold vice ministers' meeting for improved ties
- Avoiding escalation over Russian warplane downing
- Rights panel presses US over scientists' cases
- A day in the life of a deliveryman
- Orphanage shows love and compassion across borders
- College student paints creative travelogue
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade colors NYC
- Obama pardons National Thanksgiving Turkey 'Abe'
- Premier road show: Li takes CEE leaders on high-speed train ride
- Trending: Love through war and peace
- Miss World 2015 to be crowned in Sanya
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Islamic State claims responsibility for Paris attacks
Obama, Netanyahu at White House seek to mend US-Israel ties
China, not Canada, is top US trade partner
Tu first Chinese to win Nobel Prize in Medicine
Huntsman says Sino-US relationship needs common goals
Xi pledges $2 billion to help developing countries
Young people from US look forward to Xi's state visit: Survey
Geared to go
The place to be