Police persuade fugitive to surrender bribe money
Updated: 2015-12-25 18:37
By ZHENG CAIXIONG in Guangzhou(chinadaily.com.cn)
An economic fugitive surnamed Xie returned a total of 20 million yuan ($3.1 million) worth of the bribe money he had taken after he surrendered himself to police on Thursday.
According to a statement from the Guangdong provincial department of public security, Xie has become the escaped economic fugitive who has returned largest amount of bribe money in Guangdong provincial history.
After Xie defrauded the large sum of money via fake documents in March of 2014, he fled from Shantou, a coastal city in eastern part of Guangdong, to Canada on November 3 of the same year.
And local police immediately established a special task force assigned to capture him at the beginning of this year.
After immense persuasion from police officers and his family members, Xie finally decided to turn himself in. and confess his crime to police.
Xie becomes the first fugitive to be persuaded home and surrender to police in Shantou.
- More aid from China set for Syria
- Japanese journalist reportedly being held in Syria
- New York City has warmest Christmas Eve on record
- One dead as fight leads to fatal shooting at North Carolina mall
- Trump's lead bodes well for Hillary Clinton's presidential bid
- Spanish Socialist leader insists no support for Rajoy