Xi wishes a good beginning in 2016
Updated: 2015-12-31 19:40
Chinese President Xi Jinping delivers his New Year speech in Beijing, Dec 31, 2015. [Photo/Xinhua]
BEIJING - President Xi Jinping looked forward to 2016 in a speech that called for confidence and hardwork for a good beginning in the home stretch of building a "well-off society in an all-round way."
In his New Year speech, Xi said that a meeting of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in late October set out a promising and encouraging blueprint for development over the next five years.
Xi added that lifting tens of millions of rural people out of poverty was his top concern, and called for joint efforts to achieve this goal.
"We should care for all people facing difficulties (...) making them feel warm from the bottom of their hearts," Xi said.
It is the third New Year speech Xi has given since 2013.
- Top planner targets 40% cut in PM2.5 for Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei cluster
- Yearender: Predictions for 2016 through 20 questions
- Asia's largest underground railway station opens in Shenzhen
- Shanghai bans drug-using actors, drivers
- Clamping down to clean up the air
- Yearender: Ten most talked-about newsmakers in 2015
- Over 1 million refugees have fled to Europe by sea in 2015: UN
- Turbulence injures multiple Air Canada passengers, diverts flight
- NASA releases stunning images of our planet from space station
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Former Israeli PM Olmert's jail term cut, cleared of main charge