In Pearl River Delta, people breathe easier
Updated: 2016-01-05 07:58
By Xinhua in Guangzhou(China Daily)
The Pearl River Delta region in Guangdong province has seen improving air quality over the past few years, local authorities said on Sunday.
The density of PM2.5, hazardous airborne particles measuring 2.5 microns or less in diameter, fell to 34 milligrams per cubic meter in 2015 from 58 mg in 2007, according to the provincial environmental protection bureau.
The level nears the healthy maximum of 35 mg per cubic meter set by the government.
The delta region, a manufacturing center with nine cities, including Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Dongguan, Foshan and Zhongshan, contrasts sharply with many northern regions that suffer severe smog.
Despite declines in PM2.5, the delta region faces rising ozone pollution, especially in Guangzhou, Foshan, Dongguan and Zhaoqing, said Zhong Liuju, the bureau's chief air expert.
In recent years, authorities have set safe standards for the emission of volatile organic compounds in industries like plating, printing and furniture making to combat ozone pollution, Zhong said.
The measures have helped to cut ozone pollution peaks, but the average level has risen nevertheless by 0.8 mg per cubic meter annually, he said.
(China Daily 01/05/2016 page5)
- Top planner targets 40% cut in PM2.5 for Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei cluster
- Yearender: Predictions for 2016 through 20 questions
- Asia's largest underground railway station opens in Shenzhen
- Shanghai bans drug-using actors, drivers
- Clamping down to clean up the air
- Yearender: Ten most talked-about newsmakers in 2015
- Over 1 million refugees have fled to Europe by sea in 2015: UN
- Turbulence injures multiple Air Canada passengers, diverts flight
- NASA releases stunning images of our planet from space station
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Former Israeli PM Olmert's jail term cut, cleared of main charge
- The world in photos: Dec 28 - Jan 3
- Zodiac golden accessories make a splash in the new year
- Picutre review of the sky in Beijing, 2015
- Confinement center provides high-end service to new moms
- Gorgeous rime scenery in Northwest China's Xinjiang
- 127th Tournament of Rose Parade celebrated to embrace 2016
- Yearender: China's proposals on world's biggest issues
- NASA reveals entire alphabet but F in satellite images
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Shooting rampage at US social services agency leaves 14 dead
Chinese bargain hunters are changing the retail game
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Islamic State claims responsibility for Paris attacks
Obama, Netanyahu at White House seek to mend US-Israel ties
China, not Canada, is top US trade partner
Tu first Chinese to win Nobel Prize in Medicine
Huntsman says Sino-US relationship needs common goals
Geared to go
The place to be