Second-child policy to bring Beijing 580,000 newborns
Updated: 2016-01-08 13:58
By Hu Yongqi(chinadaily.com.cn)
The policy allowing all couples to have a second child is expected to raise Beijing’s population by580,000 between 2017 and 2021, local authorities estimated.
The Beijing Municipal Commission of Health and Family Planning said the policy took effect on Jan 1.All born children born before Dec 31 are still subject to the former family planning policy, which limited most Chinese couples to one child.
Beijing is estimated to have 2.36 million more mothers who are eligible for a second child under the new policy.
Also, from Jan 1 on, newly married couples will not get additional marriage holidays as all have been deprived of the privilege for late marriage. That policy gave extra days off for couples where the husband was older than 25 and the wife 23, as a way to encourage people to reduce reproduction.
- Obama says US must act on gun violence, defends new gun control rules
- Over 1 million refugees have fled to Europe by sea in 2015: UN
- Turbulence injures multiple Air Canada passengers, diverts flight
- NASA releases stunning images of our planet from space station
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident