China will implement UN Security Council resolution on DPRK if adopted
Updated: 2016-03-01 23:49
By Wang Qingyun(chinadaily.com.cn)
China will earnestly implement the UN Security Council sanction resolution on the nuclear test and the satellite launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea if it is adopted, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei made the remarks in a news conference. He said China believes that it is necessary for the UN Security Council to adopt a new resolution to curb the DPRK's ability to develop nuclear and missile programs.
The Foreign Ministry said the resolution should also encourage various parties to work together to get the Korean Peninsula nuclear issue back on the track of dialogue and negotiation as soon as possible and restart the Six-Party Talks.
Reuters cited the US mission to the UN as saying that the Security Council plans to vote on Tuesday on a resolution against the DPRK; the Associated Press quoted UN diplomats as saying on Feb 24 that China and the United States had reached agreement on a UN resolution that would impose tougher sanctions on the DPRK.
China has said that it supports the UN Security Council in passing a new and strong resolution on the DPRK, but emphasized that the fundamental way to solve the issue should be sought through dialogue and negotiation.
- Cuba intensifies fight to fend off Zika virus
- UN chief calls for 'prompt, impartial' probe into airstrike on Yemeni market
- Ex-Tepco execs indicted over Fukushima disaster
- British PM threatened with 'no confidence vote' over EU referendum
- 70,000 may become trapped in Greece
- Venezuela, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Russia to meet to stabilize oil market