Technological ties with Israel to grow
Updated: 2016-04-13 08:31
By Hu Yongqi(China Daily)
China will inject new impetus into cooperation with Israel on technological innovation, Premier Li Keqiang said on Tuesday.
Li, who met in Beijing with Yuli-Yoel Edelstein, speaker of the Israeli parliament, said China will develop a mechanism for cooperation as next year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries.
Edelstein said he was the first Knesset speaker to visit China in 20 years.
China-Israel trade volume increased last year amid weakening global trade, showing great potential for bilateral cooperation, Li said.
Innovation has been a key area for bilateral relations. Last month, Vice-Premier Liu Yandong visited Israel for the second meeting of the China-Israel Joint Committee on Innovation Cooperation.
Zhu Feng, a professor of international relations at Peking University, said Israel is known for its technology, including that used in growing fruits and vegetables in desert areas.
Moreover, he said, Israel focuses on promoting technological innovation, which is in line with China's national strategy that aims to create new technologies and business models for economic restructuring.
Edelstein met with his Chinese counterpart Zhang Dejiang, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, on Monday.
Premier Li said the exchanges between both legislatures can promote the understanding between the Chinese and Israeli people.
Edelstein said that Israel "will strengthen exchanges with the Chinese government, legislature, enterprises and academic circles to boost economic growth and innovation".
- As country's population has grown, so has the level of higher education
- New hiv testing project targets groups most at risk
- Study finds 20-year slump in exercise
- Little champ: Four-year-old roller skates on cliff
- Chinese scientists figure out Zika virus NS1 protein structure
- China charting a new course
- Ecuador continues recovery efforts following powerful quake
- Beacons and gun salutes as Britain's Queen Elizabeth turns 90
- Queen Elizabeth II's China connections
- Portraits of Queen Elizabeth released to mark her 90th brithday
- Big celebration set for queen's 90th birthday
- Things to know about Queen Elizabeth II