Honey money on chatrooms as sex sells
Updated: 2016-01-25 07:05
By Raymond Zhou(China Daily)
[Song Chen/China Daily]
But what would one do if she (or he) could potentially talk to the whole world? It turns out sex sells－much more than simple talk. Many online talk shows have morphed into live striptease, or even worse.
In the wee hours of Jan 10, a chat room on Douyutv put out a live feed of its male host having sex with a woman. It attracted thousands of viewers. In-house vigilantes shut it down within minutes and the police were alerted. An investigation is ongoing.
Like many people who use WeChat and Weibo for most functions, I was totally oblivious of the tidal wave of so-called Internet live broadcast until very recently, which are chat rooms with live video operated by individuals and hosted mostly by game sites.
It is an offshoot of online gaming, which I knew has a market size three times that of China's film market in revenue but has never attracted the equivalent media attention.
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- China's urban unemployment rate steady at 4.05 pct
- German ecologist helps relieve poverty in Sichuan
- 'Unhurried' Guizhou village makes NY Times list of places to visit
- Railway police nab 40,315 fugitives in 2015
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap
- Powerful snowstorm threatens US East Coast; flights canceled
- 2015 Earth's hottest year on record: US agencies
- 8 killed in car bomb near Russian Embassy in Kabul
- Researchers find possible ninth planet beyond Neptune