Tomic will play despite troubles
Updated: 2013-05-23 05:37
Bernard Tomic will play at next week's French Open despite his off-court troubles if only to keep some momentum going for the grasscourt season ahead, Tennis Australia's Todd Woodbridge said on Wednesday.
Tomic's father John faced a charge of causing criminal injury in a Madrid court earlier this month after allegedly assaulting his son's hitting partner Thomas Drouet.
Tomic senior says he acted in self defence and the court hearing has been suspended until October.
With a best showing of one second round appearance last year, the slow Roland Garros clay courts would hardly be ranked as Tomic's favorite surface, but Woodbridge said the 20-year-old would play despite withdrawing from last week's Rome Masters.
"From the communication I've had with his father, he will be in Paris and playing," Woodbridge, TA's Professional Tennis Manager, told reporters at Melbourne Park.
"I think it's very important that he plays there but whether he has a good result or not is probably unlikely given the surface and the circumstances."
(China Daily 05/23/2013 page22)