Moldova to send 11 athletes to Youth Olympics
Updated: 2014-08-09 12:45
BUCHAREST - Moldova's President Nicolae Timofti on Wednesday handed the state flag to wrestler Tatiana Doncila, who is to be standard bearer at the opening ceremony of the Youth Olympic Games.
Eleven Moldovan athletes will participate in six sport events at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, on Aug 16-28, according to a release of the presidential press service reaching here from Chisinau, the capital city of Moldova.
"I wish you to get outstanding performances in your activity, so that the flag should be hoisted as often as possible, and the national anthem should sound at stadiums around the world," Timofti said.
The expectations were high, as Moldova had a lot of gifted young athletes, who had already won medals at world and European championships, said Nicolae Juravschi, chairman of the National Olympic Committee.
The Moldovan athletes will compete in canoeing, gymnastics, shooting, swimming, track-and-field and wrestling.
Medal hopes include rower Serhyi Tarnovskyi, rewarded at the European junior, as well as Doncila and Dumitru Ceacusta, medals at the European Junior Wrestling.
At the first edition of the Youth Olympic Games, the Moldovan team won a silver medal and a bronze one.
- Africa athletics body worried over age cheating before Youth Games
- Xi Jinping encourages Youth Games volunteers
- Nanjing takes fresh approach to Youth Olympics
- Police chief pledges security at Youth Olympics
- Yao named image ambassador for youth Olympics
- Renowned director to choreograph Youth Olympics opening
- Star Stefanie Sun holds concert in Beijing
- Faye Wong's manager refutes star's drug rumors
- Lu Yi and daughter Bei Er pose for street snaps
- Photoshoots of actress Li Xiaomeng
- Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards
- Fan Bingbing, first Chinese actress in Barbie Hall of Fame
- Awarding ceremony of 2014 hito Pop Music held in Taipei
- Zhao Liying's photo shoot for Children's Day
Leading leaden lives
Former security chief under probe
China helps fight international war on drugs
Crackdown on terrorist attacks
My China Story: Meeting the master
Tongues tied around tatu-bola
Today's Top News
US airstrikes Iraqi Sunni extremist targets
Pandas find friend in World Peace
Obama authorizes targeted airstrikes in Iraq
WTO nixes China rare earth bid
New Guangzhou-NYC flight 'a gift'
Will Chinese tourists 'heart' New York too?
Hagel in New Delhi to expand defense ties with India
Scale of Ebola crisis 'unprecedented'
Geared to go
The place to be