Venezuelan president greets athletes for Youth Olympics
Updated: 2014-08-09 13:07
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro (C) attends the flag ceremony for the Venezuelan delegation to the 2nd Youth Olympic Games to be held in China's Nanjing in Caracas, Aug 7, 2014. [Photo/Xinhua]
CARACAS - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro Thursday greeted the delegation of athletes to compete at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, from Aug 16-28.
At a ceremony at the presidential palace of Miraflores, in the capital Caracas, Maduro said the 59 members of the delegation were "icons" for all the nation's youth.
"I hope that the example you set is one of progress, social discipline, respect and teamwork," said Maduro.
Four years ago, at the first ever Youth Olympic Games in Singapore, 21 Venezuelan athletes competed in 10 events.
Delegation flag bearer Robeilys Peinado, who won silver in the pole vault at the youth world championship and gold at the Pan- American games, said "our delegation has the honor and beautiful opportunity to defend the flag, it's certainly a challenge we take on with great responsibility, love and total commitment."
During the ceremony, Maduro also presented the Order of Francisco de Miranda to the national basketball team, which won the 46th South American Basketball Championship in July, in the northeastern state of Nueva Esparta.
- Nanjing takes fresh approach to Youth Olympics
- Police chief pledges security at Youth Olympics
- Yao named image ambassador for youth Olympics
- Renowned director to choreograph Youth Olympics opening
- Over 3700 athletes expected at Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Nanjing Youth Olympics under starter’s orders
- Volunteers train for summer Youth Olympics
- Nanjing hopes Youth Olympics help nation's bid for Winter 2022
- Nanjing vows to be frugal on Youth Olympics
- Star Stefanie Sun holds concert in Beijing
- Faye Wong's manager refutes star's drug rumors
- Lu Yi and daughter Bei Er pose for street snaps
- Photoshoots of actress Li Xiaomeng
- Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards
- Fan Bingbing, first Chinese actress in Barbie Hall of Fame
- Awarding ceremony of 2014 hito Pop Music held in Taipei
- Zhao Liying's photo shoot for Children's Day
Leading leaden lives
Former security chief under probe
China helps fight international war on drugs
Crackdown on terrorist attacks
My China Story: Meeting the master
Tongues tied around tatu-bola
Today's Top News
US airstrikes Iraqi Sunni extremist targets
Pandas find friend in World Peace
Obama authorizes targeted airstrikes in Iraq
WTO nixes China rare earth bid
New Guangzhou-NYC flight 'a gift'
Will Chinese tourists 'heart' New York too?
Hagel in New Delhi to expand defense ties with India
Scale of Ebola crisis 'unprecedented'
Geared to go
The place to be