IOC executive: Beijing a 'good chance' for 2022
Updated: 2014-08-20 17:25
By SUN XIAOCHEN(China Daily)
Ugur Erdener, the Turkish Olympic Committee president and member of the IOC Executive Board, holds the YOG Daily. PHOTO BY SUN XIAOCHEN / CHINA DAILY
"I personally believe that all three cities can host the 2022 Winter Olympics. Beijing has great experience from the 2008 Olympics, which were well organized," the Turkish Olympic Committee president said.
"According to the Beijing Winter Olympics project, everything seems good for winter sport activities," said Erdener, who is in Nanjing for the Youth Olympics.
Beijing launched a joint bid in November with neighboring city Zhangjiakou, Hebei province, to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. The other two candidates are Oslo, Norway, and Almaty, Kazakhstan.
"Oslo has very strong winter sports traditions, while Almaty is a new city for winter sports. The decision will be based on evaluation reports and I think all three cities are capable of hosting the 2022 Winter Games," he said.
- More boon than bust
- Olympic traces at Youth Games
- IOC boss wants to use Games for a brighter future
- Foreign Youth Olympic Games athletes experience Chinese culture
- Opening Ceremony kicks off the 13th Xinjiang Sports Games
- Rogge: China capable of hosting any big event
- Jacques Rogge expects great success for Nanjing YOG
- Star Stefanie Sun holds concert in Beijing
- Faye Wong's manager refutes star's drug rumors
- Lu Yi and daughter Bei Er pose for street snaps
- Photoshoots of actress Li Xiaomeng
- Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards
- Fan Bingbing, first Chinese actress in Barbie Hall of Fame
- Awarding ceremony of 2014 hito Pop Music held in Taipei
- Zhao Liying's photo shoot for Children's Day
Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games
Leading leaden lives
Former security chief under probe
China helps fight international war on drugs
Crackdown on terrorist attacks
My China Story: Meeting the master
Today's Top News
Antitrust probes 'won't deter investors'
Obama vows long-term strategy against ISIL
Ministry says trade growth needs help to reach 7.5%
Xi pledges to make China media more up to date
Missouri gov lifts Ferguson curfew
US police uses China's social media
China's US debt holdings dip lower, again
Anti-trust team lacks real muscle for enforcement
Geared to go
The place to be