Birthday party fun at media center
Updated: 2014-08-25 14:21
By ZHENG XIN(China Daily)
At a birthday party for athletes and staff at the Games, several took the ALS ice-bucket challenge. PHOTO BY ZHENG XIN / CHINA DAILY
Athletes, media workers and staff whose birthdays fall during the Nanjing Games celebrated their birthdays like never before at the Main Media Center on Thursday night.
More than 130 people were treated to live music performances, dances, snacks and the ice bucket challenge and also won prizes and gifts.
"It's once in a blue moon that I could celebrate my birthday during the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games," said Xiang Jiabo, a javelin thrower from Taizhou, Jiangsu province, who turned 17 on Aug 15.
"The dances and selfies with the other athletes from home and abroad were so much fun. The birthday party was a once in a lifetime experience."
"We didn't expect anything like this," said Juan Canadell, a senior host broadcaster, who celebrated his birthday on Aug 14.
"Each of us had birthdays during the Nanjing Games and we organized small, private parties with our colleagues and this is just fantastic."
Diosdado Estandarte, a cameraman for TV5 television from the Philippines, said this was his first time in China and everything was "spectacular".
The Nanjing Youth Olympic Games Organizing Committee also came up with the stand-out event of the evening, the ALS ice-bucket challenge.
Two mascots, or Lele, took the challenge first, followed by many athletes, media workers and staff.
- China's Liang wins gold medal in women's 100m at Youth Olympics
- Wu Shengping wins gold 10m platform by wide margin at YOG
- Foreign lifesaver is father of YOG equestrienne
- Chinese young golfer Dou driving for gold in Nanjing YOG
- YOG throws party to entertain fans
- Youth doing China proud
- In pictures: Highlights of Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Olympic traces at Youth Games
- Star Stefanie Sun holds concert in Beijing
- Faye Wong's manager refutes star's drug rumors
- Lu Yi and daughter Bei Er pose for street snaps
- Photoshoots of actress Li Xiaomeng
- Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards
- Fan Bingbing, first Chinese actress in Barbie Hall of Fame
- Awarding ceremony of 2014 hito Pop Music held in Taipei
- Zhao Liying's photo shoot for Children's Day
Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games
Leading leaden lives
Former security chief under probe
China helps fight international war on drugs
Crackdown on terrorist attacks
My China Story: Meeting the master
Today's Top News
Calif. governor declares emergency from quake
American held in Syria freed
Washington DC seeks more Chinese tourism
California hospital treats 70 plus after quake
White House aides to attend funeral of black teen
Man, 18, accused of being mastermind in imam's murder
China urges US to stop close-in surveillance
US seeks multi-prong strategy against ISIL forces
Geared to go
The place to be