Xu wins 400m hurdles crown in cliff-hanger finish
Updated: 2014-08-25 14:56
NANJING - China's Xu Zhihang won the men's 400m hurdles gold in a thrilling finish at the Nanjing OSC Stadium Monday - but only by the barest of margins.
Clearing the last hurdle, Xu led but had Tunisian Fares Mohamed Jlasi closing fast on his outside.
Xu, grimacing with iron-willed effort, battled towards the finish with Jlasi looking the stronger and the pair were inseperable when they crossed the line, both recording 50.61s.
The pair sprawled exhausted on the track waiting for the judges' verdict and Xu could scarcely believe it when he was adjudged to have crossed the tape first - thanks to a desperate lunge with his head. Xu raised his arms to the sky in delight before wrapping the China flag around his shoulders.
Victor Coroller (FRA) won the bronze in 51.19s and all three medallists scored personal bests.
- Xu Shilin delights home fans with singles' gold at YOG
- China's Liang wins gold medal in women's 100m at Youth Olympics
- Premier Li to attend closing ceremony of Youth Olympics
- Wu Shengping wins gold 10m platform by wide margin at YOG
- Chinese young golfer Dou driving for gold in Nanjing YOG
- YOG throws party to entertain fans
- Karamay youth swimming team takes golds
- Star Stefanie Sun holds concert in Beijing
- Faye Wong's manager refutes star's drug rumors
- Lu Yi and daughter Bei Er pose for street snaps
- Photoshoots of actress Li Xiaomeng
- Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards
- Fan Bingbing, first Chinese actress in Barbie Hall of Fame
- Awarding ceremony of 2014 hito Pop Music held in Taipei
- Zhao Liying's photo shoot for Children's Day
Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games
Leading leaden lives
Former security chief under probe
China helps fight international war on drugs
Crackdown on terrorist attacks
My China Story: Meeting the master
Today's Top News
Calif. governor declares emergency from quake
American held in Syria freed
Washington DC seeks more Chinese tourism
California hospital treats 70 plus after quake
White House aides to attend funeral of black teen
Man, 18, accused of being mastermind in imam's murder
China urges US to stop close-in surveillance
US seeks multi-prong strategy against ISIL forces
Geared to go
The place to be