China's basketball league to set up players' association
Updated: 2015-02-26 16:18
BEIJING -- The Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) is planning to set up a players' association.
Like the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) which was launched in 1954, the CBA's players union is expected to protect the rights of CBA players, however, pundits are worried whether this union is really able to do the job.
"Although it is a trend to set up a players' union, the most important is whether the union can protect the players' rights or not," said Xu Jicheng, a well-known Chinese commentator on the game.
Different from the NBPA which is independent from NBA, the CBA players' association will be part of the CBA structure.
Twenty CBA clubs will be asked to have a player representative each in the union, which will hire a lawyer to offer legal help and advice.
Shanxi player Duan Jiangpeng is looking forward to the establishment of the players' union.
"I hope the union will be 100 percent on our side and protect and maximize our rights," he said.
- Chinese university basketball team visits Albania
- Higher play: Lhasa to build world's highest basketball home court
- NBA Yao Basketball Club expands to Shanghai
- Karamay Health Cup Basketball Competition concludes
- Learning, giving back through basketball
- Basketball more than a sport for women in Saudi Arabia
- Chengdu citizens visit Du Fu Thatched Cottage to mark Human Day
- Tencent gifts red envelopes to employees
- Throwing coins to please God of Wealth
- 7 companies that aim to fly high with drone deliveries
- Starry Night created by lens
- Dragons, martial arts and basketball
- Stringing in the New Year
- Top 10 Chinese innovators in 2014
Spring Festival trends reflect a changing China
Patent applications lead the world
BC lures Chinese tourists
Festival Special: Apps that make holiday shopping easier
Alibaba places China smartphone business bet with $590m Meizu deal
China, US vow to deepen military relations
Today's Top News
Obama blames immigration woes on Republicans
New fighter jet ready for PLA
Why China's youth is getting the needle
Most Chinese forced to return home were living abroad illegally
US State Dept calls for cyber security boost
Anbang buys new piece of Manhattan
California here we come: Chinese
Port dispute over, shelves take time to restock
Geared to go
The place to be