China to participate Footballgolf World Cup next year
Updated: 2015-07-03 20:44
By Qiu Quanlin in Shenzhen, Guangdong(chinadaily.com.cn)
Dai Xianrong, a retired soccer player, kicks a football during the second round of the Mission Hills Footballgolf Championship in Shenzhen on Friday. Qiu Quanlin/chinadaily.com.cn
China will organize a team to participate in the Footballgolf World Cup in Argentina next year, according to organizers of a championship for the fun sport.
"We are promoting this fun sport by providing training and organizing competitions, given that it was introduced to China only a few years ago," said Tenniel Chu, vice chairman of the Mission Hills Group.
The second round of footballgolf championship was held Friday at Mission Hills of Shenzhen, Guangdong province, attracting a number of professional soccer players and celebrities from Guangdong and neighboring Hong Kong.
Footballgolf, an addictively fun sport that combines golf and soccer, is usually played on golf courses, requiring players to strike a soccer ball and send it into a hole using their feet.
The goal is to play as few kicks per round as possible. The sport's popularity has expanded around the world ever since the rules were standardized in 2009 in the Netherlands, according to the World Footballgolf Association.
There are 28 countries and regions that widely promote the sport, according to Chu.
Dai Xianrong, a retired soccer player, said he developed a huge interest in footballgolf as it is great fun and good exercise.
"More courses should be built in the future to allow more people to take part in the sport," he said.
Sources with Mission Hills said it would organize five championships this year and construction of a public footballgolf course is underway.
- Injured ROK tourists in intensive care
- 36 dead, 26 missing after banca capsized in C. Philippines
- Thai navy plans to buy three Chinese subs
- Mass casualties in Indonesian military plane crash
- Japan's LDP lawmaker denounces Abe's security policies
- More than 100 feared dead in Indonesian military plane crash
- Solar-powered plane breaks solo flight record
- A soap maker's fragrant life
- Ten photos you don't wanna miss - July 3
- Cooling off to escape the heat wave
- Top 10 best hotel booking apps for Android
- Western Europe swelters in long-lasting heat wave
- Top 10 shareholders of AIIB
- Massive Hello Kitty theme park opens to visitors
Seventh China-US strategic dialogue
Premier Li embarks on Latin America visit
What do we know about AIIB
Full coverage of Boao Forum for Asia
Annual legislative and political advisory sessions
Spring Festival trends reflect a changing China
Today's Top News
Veteran diplomat in Havana shortlisted for ambassador
Solar-powered plane breaks solo flight record
California mulls move to 'zero-emission buses'
Move to Houston pays off with new business
IPR law acted out
Economic growth driving force for China's future mobility: Think tank
'Operation duck' and the student savior from internment camp
White House lifts ban on cameras during public tours
Geared to go
The place to be