Beijing 2022 bid team confident ahead of IOC vote
Updated: 2015-07-31 16:31
KUALA LUMPUR - The Beijing 2022 Bid team exuded with confidence about winning the right to host the Winter Games following their presentation to members of the International Olympic Committee Friday morning.
"We have the capability as well as the confidence to present the world a fantastic, extraordinary and excellent Olympic Winter Games in Beijing," Chinese Vice-Premier Liu Yandong told reporters at the mixed zone after the 55-minute presentation.
A highlight of the Beijing presentation was former NBA star Yao Ming, who featured in a video playing ice hockey with young kids and also appeared on stage.
"Our presentation was really excellent today. I think, it's better than any of our rehearsals," Yao told reporters after the presentation.
Yao's remarks were echoed by bid teammate and IOC member Yang Yang, who is already six months pregnant for her second child.
"We have tried our best," said Yang. "Many friends have congratulated me on our presentation."
Yang, China's first gold medalist in Winter Olympics, cherished her role in the bidding process.
"It's a special feeling. I feel greatly honored and excited to play a part in Beijing's 2022 bid," she said.
When asked about her plans after the IOC session, Yang replied with a smile: "Go home to hug my son."
The IOC will cast a vote on the host city later Friday.
Beijing, which hosted the 2008 Olympics, is seeking to become the first city to stage both summer and winter Games. Almaty hopes to bring the Games to Central Asia for the first time.
- 38.7b yuan in State assets recovered in campaign
- China closely watches recovery of Boeing debris: spokesman
- Netizens question narrative of human trafficking victim turned model teacher
- Jing-Jin-Ji project gathers momentum as young people return
- Only living panda triplets celebrate first birthday
- Mother's death prompts escalator safety campaign
- Top 10 international destinations for Chinese millionaires
- Rainstorm affects 940,000 in South China
- Do you take all your paid leave?
- National Art Museum of China displays Polish folk art
- Chinese soldiers in parades
- US Marines Corpos soldiers demonstrate martial arts
- World's largest radio telescope being built
- Elvis Festival pays tribute to the King of Rock 'n' Roll
Seventh China-US strategic dialogue
Premier Li embarks on Latin America visit
What do we know about AIIB
Full coverage of Boao Forum for Asia
Annual legislative and political advisory sessions
Spring Festival trends reflect a changing China
Today's Top News
Chinese defense concerned about US moves in South China Sea
Chinese named in test-taking scam deported from US
Baidu to buy back shares worth $1b
Former military leader Guo Boxiong expelled from CPC, to face justice
Pair to face poaching charges related to death of popular lion
Amazon wants air space for delivery drones
Embassy continues its work in aftermath of car bombing
Netizens pack heavy wallets
Geared to go
The place to be