President extends appreciation to IOC for trust and support
Updated: 2015-08-01 07:25
By Xinhua(China Daily)
President Xi Jinping sent a letter of appreciation to International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach on Friday evening, expressing thanks to the IOC for its trust and support in selecting Beijing, together with Zhangjiakou, as the host of the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
"Today, Beijing, together with Zhangjiakou, has won the bid to host the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Let me extend, on behalf of the Chinese government and people, our appreciation to the IOC for its trust and strong support over the years," Xi said in the letter.
"To present a fantastic, extraordinary and excellent Winter Olympics is the aspiration of over 1.3 billion Chinese people. We will fulfill all our commitments and witness, together with the people of all other countries and the IOC, the advent of a new phase in the development of Olympic winter sports and in the spread of the Olympic spirit," Xi said.
"The Chinese government and people will implement in good faith the Olympic Agenda 2020, create a new record for the same city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, and make new contributions to the advancement of the Olympic spirit."
Olympic Agenda 2020 is a strategic road map for the future of the Olympic Movement, shifting the Games to an "event-based" program rather than sports-based, with greater flexibility that allows a wider scope for those countries and cities wanting to stage the Games. The road map was voted on by the full IOC membership at the 127th IOC Session in December in Monaco.
(China Daily 08/01/2015 page1)
- Gala promotes gender equality
- Trafficked woman appeals to be left alone, continue her life
- Wreckage discovery shouldn't disrupt search: MH370 families
- 3,000 students attend pre-exam session in huge hall
- 38.7b yuan in State assets recovered in campaign
- China closely watches recovery of Boeing debris: spokesman
- Top 10 international destinations for Chinese millionaires
- Rainstorm affects 940,000 in South China
- Do you take all your paid leave?
- National Art Museum of China displays Polish folk art
- Chinese soldiers in parades
- US Marines Corpos soldiers demonstrate martial arts
- World's largest radio telescope being built
- Elvis Festival pays tribute to the King of Rock 'n' Roll
Seventh China-US strategic dialogue
Premier Li embarks on Latin America visit
What do we know about AIIB
Full coverage of Boao Forum for Asia
Annual legislative and political advisory sessions
Spring Festival trends reflect a changing China
Today's Top News
Professor accused of spying out on bond
Chinese defense concerned about US moves in South China Sea
Chinese named in test-taking scam deported from US
Baidu to buy back shares worth $1b
Former military leader Guo Boxiong expelled from CPC, to face justice
Pair to face poaching charges related to death of popular lion
Amazon wants air space for delivery drones
Embassy continues its work in aftermath of car bombing
Geared to go
The place to be