Sports events staged simultaneously for first time
Updated: 2015-09-13 15:43
By Huang Zhiling in Shuangliu, Sichuan province(chinadaily.com.cn)
The 9th National Games of Disabled Persons and 6th Special Olympic Games of the People's Republic of China opened at Shuangliu Sports Center in Shuangliu, a county in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan province, on Saturday.
Since the first National Games in Hefei, Anhui province, in 1984, the quadrennial event has been held in Hebei, Guangdong, Liaoning, Jiangsu, Yunnan and Zhejiang provinces and Shanghai.
The Special Olympics have been staged in Guangdong, Fujian, Shaanxi and Heilongjiang provinces since making their debut in Shenzhen, Guangdong in 1987.
The two events were merged in 2013."It is the first time both events are held in one place at the same time," said Cai Sujing, executive secretary general of the organizing committee.
Attracting 2,382 athletes, competition takes place in Chengdu, Mianyang, Suining and Meishan over eight days.
Participants in the National Games compete in 20 events including archery, track-and-field, badminton, basketball, cycling, football, judo, weightlifting, shooting, swimming, table tennis, tennis, and chess, while those in the Special Olympics will contest nine events, including track-and-field, badminton, basketball, basketball, weightlifting, swimming and table tennis.
- Russian military experts present in Syria
- Norway PM says Norwegian citizen taken hostage in Syria
- Hungarian TV journalist fired for tripping up fleeing migrants
- Leaders from EU, Russia, Ukraine to meet in Paris in Oct
- Music is food for the soul for young Chinese violinist
- Australia's Tasmania, China agree to 'work together' on Antarctic expeditions
- Americans mark the 14th anniversary of 9/11 attacks
- 7 ways Chinese travelers benefit from the US visa extension
- In pictures: School life from the lens of sports teacher
- Ten treasures from Palace Museum to look forward to
- Top 10 richest Chinese tech giants
- 10 years of Sino-US exhibitions
- Greedy panda eats ten boxes of honey
- Soldiers in Sansha guard the islands
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Over 14,500 Chinese pilgrims in Mecca
Xi's trip to US to 'chart course' for ties
US to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees, says White House
WWII veterans awarded medals for victory efforts
LA still a top destination for tourists even as China's economy slows
New iPhones unveiled
Inside look at Apple's newly-launched products
Peking Opera performance thrills NY
Geared to go
The place to be