Curtain falls on record-breaking sports events
Updated: 2015-09-20 15:05
By Huang Zhiling(chinadaily.com.cn)
Fifty-one world records were broken as 5,344 athletes competed in 29 events, winning 1,561 gold medals, at China's 9th National Games of Disabled Persons and 6th Special Olympic Games which ended in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan province, on Saturday.
It was the first time the events had been staged simultaneously and the 10th National Games and 7th Special Olympics will be held in Tianjin, said Wei Hong, chairman of the organizing committee.
Since the first National Games were staged in Hefei, Anhui province in 1984, the quadrennial event has been held in Hebei, Guangdong, Liaoning, Jiangsu, Yunnan and Zhejiang provinces and Shanghai.
The Special Olympics had previously been held in Guangdong, Fujian, Shaanxi and Heilongjiang provinces since making their debut in 1987.
National Games participants contested 20 events while those in the Special Olympics competed in nine.
- UN chief: Those blocking fleeing refugees should 'stand in their shoes'
- Hungarian riot police detain migrants
- IOC announces five cities bid for 2024 summer Olympic
- Japan opposition to halt vote on security bills
- Japan protesters rally as security bills near passage
- Australia launches first air strikes against IS