China back to top eight in Asia in year-ending FIFA rankings
Updated: 2015-12-04 09:43
A football player from China's top club Guangzhou Evergrande celebrates victory after a match. [File photo]
BEIJING - China maintained their 84th position in the newly released FIFA world rankings on Thursday and moved back to the top eight in Asia.
China ranked eighth in the continental table, one slot higher than last month, followed by Qatar, while ironically Qatar were above China and topped Group C with 18 points in the 2018 Russia World Cup qualifier.
Although China thrashed Bhutan 12-0 on November 12 in Changsha, the very same team had to accept a goalless draw with Hong Kong within a week.
The fruitless draw made China stay in third place in Group C behind leaders Qatar and Hong Kong.
As only the eight group winners and four best second-place teams will enter the last stage of the Asian Zone qualifying campaign, China had slim hope to reach the final stage.
Iran are the highest ranked Asian team at 45th while South Korea and Japan are 51st and 53rd respectively.
Belgium maintained the top place, followed by Argentina and Spain.
- Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei govts to cooperate on emissions control
- Web promotion of prostitution to be targeted
- Glass bridge in grand canyon of Zhangjiajie under construction
- Road rage cases pose huge safety challenge
- Academy proposes retirement age timeline
- Diabetes, weight loss, high on list of health concerns