Del Potro dreams of playing 'several years more'
Updated: 2016-02-25 10:27
BUENOS AIRES - Argentinian tennis player Juan Martin del Potro announced on Wednesday he intends to play "several years more."
Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro returns a shot during play against Sam Querrey of the U.S. in their men's semi-final match at the Delray Beach Open tennis tournament in Delray Beach, Florida February 20, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]
The player also confirmed his presence at the upcoming Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Masters 1000 event, the BNP Paribas Open, to be held in California, United States, in two weeks.
The U.S. Open 2009 champion returned to competing last week in the ATP Delray Beach (US). Del Potro reached the semifinals after almost a year away from the sport due to injuries.
"I will play again in two weeks, at Indian Wells (California). It is a higher quality tournament where all the players will be. I am mentally preparing myself for the first rounds so that it will not affect me if I do not win them," said the athlete.
The tennis player, who was born in the city of Tandil (in Buenos Aires province), told local radio Mitre that he longs to compete peer to peer "with the best in the world."
"My dream is to play for several years more. It would be a dream to be at the same level as some of the world's best players, as in years past," said del Potro.
For del Potro, 27, "returning to playing after feeling so far away, seeing me on a court and winning again just makes everything more incredible."
The former world number four went up this week from 1042 to 420 in the ATP world rankings.