Paralympic ticket sales hit 1.6 million
Updated: 2016-09-07 09:28
Brazil's judo athlete Rafaela Silva holds the Olympic torch during a ceremony with the Paralympic torch at the Christ the Redeemer statue ahead of the 2016 Rio Paralympic games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sept 6, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]
The figure has quadrupled since the Olympic Games closing ceremony on August 21, when only 300,000 tickets had been bought for the September 7-18 Games.
Demand hit a peak on August 24, with 145,000 tickets being snapped up.
Ticket prices range from around three US dollars to 40 US dollars.
The most popular sports have been swimming, athletics, basketball, football and volleyball, organizers said.
Fans in Rio de Janeiro state have bought the most tickets followed by residents of Sao Paulo, Minas Gerais, the Federal District and Paraná.
The Brazilian Paralympic Committee said on Sunday that it hoped ticket sales for the Paralympics would reach 2 million out of an overall tally of 2.4 million.
- Xi tells Park China opposes deployment of THAAD in ROK
- Singapore confirms 27 new cases of Zika infection
- Russia, Britain agree to mend ties
- EU can't leave entire migration issue to mediterranean countries: official
- Rousseff appeals impeachment to Supreme Court
- Europeans displeased with their education systems