UN chief slams attack on S Korean embassy in Libya
Updated: 2015-04-13 16:49
UNITED NATIONS - The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday strongly condemned the attack on South Korea's embassy in Libya by unidentified gunmen.
"The secretary-general recalls that the principle of inviolability of diplomatic and consular premises must be respected," said a note released here by Ban's spokesperson.
The note also mentioned the urgent need for Libyans to end the ongoing conflict and to move quickly to agree on the formation of a national unity government.
"In this respect, the United Nations looks forward to the resumption of the political dialogue in the coming days," said the note.
Gunmen attacked South Korea's embassy in Libya's Tripoli earlier on Sunday, killing at least one guard. There are no reported casualties of South Korean nationals.
Libya, a major oil producer in North Africa, has been witnessing a frayed political process after its former leader Muammar Gaddafi was toppled during the 2011 political turmoil. The country is now deadlocked in a dogfight between the pro-secular army and Islamist militants.
Although the UN has brokered several rounds of peace talks between the opposing parties since last September, clashes remained despite a truce agreed on by factions.