China's envoy to Syria promises further efforts to resolve crisis
Updated: 2016-04-21 22:00
DAMASCUS -- China's envoy to Syria, Xie Xiaoyan, stressed on Thursday that China will continue to help push all parties in Syria to reach a solution for the long-running conflict.
"China will continue to exert efforts to push all parties to reach a solution to the Syrian issue with thoughts and wisdom," Xie, who is currently on a visit to Syria, told reporters here in Damascus.
He said all parties must cling to dialogue and negotiations to reach a political solution, and most importantly they should have patience and trust.
"All parties must undertake all measures to tighten the gap so that they could find a solution taking into consideration all concerns of the Syrians," he said.
The envoy's remarks came after his meeting with Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem, who stressed that the Syrian government and people are carrying on with the war on terror.
China appointed Xie Xiaoyan as a special envoy for the Syrian issue late last month, indicating a more active role in addressing the conflict.
Xie, former ambassador to Iran and Ethiopia as well as China's representative to the African Union, has a rich understanding of Middle East affairs.
- As country's population has grown, so has the level of higher education
- Charities rebuild image through relief efforts
- New hiv testing project targets groups most at risk
- Study finds 20-year slump in exercise
- Little champ: Four-year-old roller skates on cliff
- Chinese scientists figure out Zika virus NS1 protein structure
- Ecuador continues recovery efforts following powerful quake
- Beacons and gun salutes as Britain's Queen Elizabeth turns 90
- Queen Elizabeth II's China connections
- Portraits of Queen Elizabeth released to mark her 90th brithday
- Big celebration set for queen's 90th birthday
- Things to know about Queen Elizabeth II