Jacquelin replaces injured Quiros in Seve Trophy
Updated: 2011-09-13 14:08
Spain's Alvaro Quiros tees off on the 17th hole during the first round of the 93rd PGA Championship golf tournament at the Atlanta Athletic Club in Johns Creek, Georgia, Aug 11, 2011. [Photo/Agencies]
PARIS - Long-hitting Spaniard Alvaro Quiros has pulled out of this week's Seve Trophy because of a wrist injury, organisers said on Monday.
Quiros will be replaced by Frenchman Raphael Jacquelin in the Continental Europe side to face Britain and Ireland in the biennial event at St Nom La Breteche which starts on Thursday.
Jacquelin, 37, was next in line for a place in the team through the Race to Dubai qualifying list. It will be his fourth appearance in the competition.
"It is desperately disappointing news for Alvaro," Europe captain Jean Van de Velde told the tour's website (www.europeantour.com). "He wanted to play and to be able to honour the memory of Seve.
"He is a wonderful player and a great character. Having said that, Raphael is an outstanding player as he proved in three previous Seve Trophies when he collected eight-and-a-half points."
Britain and Ireland have won the trophy five times and Europe once since the event was launched by Spanish great Seve Ballesteros, who died earlier this year after a long battle with brain cancer.