Senior energy official investigated
Updated: 2013-02-01 07:33
Senior energy official investigated
The discipline authority is verifying online accusations against Liu Tienan, chief of the National Energy Administration, of forging academic backgrounds and colluding with businessmen, a micro blog account of Xinhua News Agency reported on Wednesday. The whistle-blower, Luo Changping, deputy editor-in-chief of Caijing, a financial magazine, posted online that discipline authorities have started investigating Liu.
Hitchhiking to ease travel burden
As the approach of Spring Festival puts stress on China's transportation sector, some people are turning to hitchhiking to ease holiday travel burdens. A ride-share program was launched by six micro-blog celebrities for the Spring Festival holiday travel season last year, and started up again on Wednesday. The program is aimed at helping those who cannot secure tickets home.
National Library to share digital books
The National Library of China will share the digital version of more than 1 million books, 180,000 documents in foreign languages, 700 periodicals, photos, videos and educational material with other libraries in the country. Readers from 20 libraries around the country will have access to the digital offerings via a special virtual network starting from Feb 4.
Construction to begin on terminal
Construction on a terminal of the new airport in Beijing will start in the last quarter of this year, Beijing Daily reported on Thursday. The airport, expected to be put into operation in 2018, will eventually become an international air transport hub with the capacity to handle 100 million passengers a year, according to Beijing's development and reform commission.
Traffic accident claims 7 lives
Seven people were killed after a heavy truck rolled over and crushed a smaller vehicle on Wednesday night in Hebei province, local police said on Thursday. The accident occurred on the No 331 provincial highway at 10:40 pm, when a heavy truck rolled over and crushed a small bus.
14 plead guilty to inciting violence
Fourteen people pleaded guilty on Wednesday to inciting attacks against government buildings and intentionally damaging property in Qidong, Jiangsu province. On July 28, during a mass protest against the planned construction of a highly polluting drainpipe project, Zhu Baosheng, Shen Yawei, Xu Jianjie and 11 others smashed office buildings and jumped on cars in a government compound, according to an open trial held in the local court.
Deputies call for 'cold allowances'
Deputies to Shanghai's legislative meetings have appealed for "cold day allowances" to help residents keep warm in winter. Huang Chen, a legislator, said that as the government cannot provide a public heating service in winter, it can consider giving an allowance to residents so that people can use air conditioning to keep warm.
Revenge possibly led to fatal blast
The cause of a firecracker explosion that left two former lovers dead on Wednesday in Heilongjiang province may have been due to a revenge attack, according to local authorities. The explosion occurred around 7 am at a fireworks booth in Hulin. Authorities believe the man who died in the blast caused the explosion, which also killed the female booth owner.
Guangzhou to build 2nd airport
The second airport in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, will be in the city's Nansha New Area, according to the new area's overall plan, which is soliciting public opinions until 26. The plan does not show more details about the airport.
Care centers benefit farmers
Liaoning civil affairs authorities said 53 rural care centers were opened for farmers with debilitating illnesses in 2012, and there are plans to establish more in the future. By the end of last year, care homes have received 4,300 farmers who cannot take care of themselves due to chronic illnesses.
Tighter entry to South Korea
The South Korea consulate in Shenyang said on Thursday that it may take stricter regulatory and supervisory measures on travel agencies to avoid tourists illegally staying in South Korea. Ten of the 19 Chinese tourists, who disappeared without informing their local tour guide at the end of last year, were founded in Gumi, South Korea, on Jan 15, people.com.cn reported on Thursday.