7 dead, 57 missing after NW China landslide
Updated: 2015-08-17 09:08
Rescuers clean the landslide site in Shanyang county, Northwest China's Shaanxi province, Aug 12, 2015. [Photo/Xinhua]
XI'AN - Seven people have been confirmed dead and 57 others remain missing more than four days after a landslide hit a mining company in Northwest China's Shaanxi province, rescuers said Sunday.
As of 9 pm Sunday, seven bodies had been retrieved from debris in Shanyang county, Shangluo city, according to the local rescue headquarters.
The first body was pulled out from a buried pickup at around 5:30 pm Sunday, the headquarters said.
A landslide hit the dormitory of the mining company and three houses early Wednesday morning. Ten people escaped unaided and four others were dug out by rescuers and taken to hospital. The missing included villagers, mine workers and their families, and construction workers.
Rescuers said the huge volume of mud and rubble, combined with the risk of a second landslide, had hindered the search.
There are a number of vanadium mines in the area and residents have often voiced concern about the effect of mining on the environment.