China to build system to compensate environmental damages by 2020
Updated: 2015-09-17 17:52
Zhai Qing, deputy minister of environmental protection, is seen at a press conference in Beijing on Thursday. [Photo/china.com.cn]
China will require those who damage the ecological environment to pay compensation, a deputy minister of environment said Thursday.
"Concerning the compensation for damages to the ecological environment, China will try it out in some regions before 2017 and promote it nationwide after 2018," Zhai Qing, deputy minister of environmental protection, said at a press conference in Beijing.
The Communist Party of China Central Committee has adopted a trial plan on charging compensation for damages to the ecological environment, which will be published soon.
According to the plan, the trial will be carried out in some provinces and regions in 2015-2017. During the trial authorities will explore how to compensate. And in 2008 the trial will be expanded to all across the nation.
The plan aims to build a clear and sound system on charging compensation for environmental damages by 2020.
- UN chief: Those blocking fleeing refugees should 'stand in their shoes'
- Hungarian riot police detain migrants
- IOC announces five cities bid for 2024 summer Olympic
- Japan opposition to halt vote on security bills
- Japan protesters rally as security bills near passage
- Australia launches first air strikes against IS