Asia's top 10 richest families
Updated: 2015-10-13 07:16
Forbes magazine released its latest list of Asia's 50 richest families from 10 Asian countries last week. South Korea's Lee (Byung-Chull) family, owner of Samsung, emerged as the richest family with a net worth $26.6 billion.
To qualify, a family's wealth and participation in building its fortune has to extend at least three generations. Some of the region's biggest patriarchal positions, such as the one originated by Hong Kong's Li Ka-shing, are absent in this inaugural ranking. Though Li's sons are active in business, no grandchildren have taken on any serious roles.
Let's take a look at Asia's top 10 richest families.
No 10 Mistry family
Net worth: $14.9 billion
Source of wealth: Shapoorji Pallonji Group
Cyrus Mistry, chairman of Tata Group, smiles during the Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) annual general meeting in Mumbai June 27, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]
- Air pollution dominates complaints to environmental ministry
- WHO calls for stricter curbs on tobacco promotion in China
- Pilot risks own life to save others after plane's engine fails
- Palace Museum's western part opens for first time in 90 years
- Suspect of fishing boat murder caught in E China
- 'Queen of Ivory' faces charge in Tanzania