China conducts successful test flights at newly-built airfield in South China Sea
Updated: 2016-01-06 19:29
This satellite image shows the Yongshu Jiao of China's Nansha Islands. [Photo/Xinhua]
HAIKOU - China successfully carried out test fights of two civilian aircraft on Wednesday on a newly-built airfield in the Nansha Islands of the South China Sea.
Related: Test flight to South China Sea reef 'within sovereignty'BEIJING - A test flight to a newly-built airfield on a South China Sea reef was a matter "completely within China's sovereignty," a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said late Saturday evening.
Spokeswoman Hua Chunying said China has finished building an airfield on Yongshu Jiao of China's Nansha Islands.
The Chinese government used a civil aircraft to conduct the flight in order to test whether the airfield facilities meet civil aviation standards, she said, in response to reported objections of Vietnam's foreign ministry.
"China has indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and their adjacent waters. China will not accept the unfounded accusation from the Vietnamese side," Hua said.
At present, the relations between China and Vietnam maintain a momentum of development. China hopes Vietnam can work accordingly to achieve "sustainable, healthy and stable" development of bilateral ties, Hua said.
- China's recent moves in South China Sea make sense: US scholar
- US' provocations inflame South China Sea tensions
- China's Sovereignty over the South China Sea Islands - Brooks No Denial
- PLA Naval fleet to conduct exercise in South China Sea
- China urges US, Japan not to flex muscles on South China Sea
- Obama says US must act on gun violence, defends new gun control rules
- Over 1 million refugees have fled to Europe by sea in 2015: UN
- Turbulence injures multiple Air Canada passengers, diverts flight
- NASA releases stunning images of our planet from space station
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- What's in store at CES 2016
- Li springs a surprise on coal mine visit
- Man proposes to his beloved with a $23,010 ghost castle
- New Year's wishes from Chinese expatriates
- Xi begins new year with visit to Chongqing
- Top 10 events that moves the stocks
- Top 10 travel spots around Hainan
- Highlights of second stage of Darkar Rally 2016
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Shooting rampage at US social services agency leaves 14 dead
Chinese bargain hunters are changing the retail game
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Islamic State claims responsibility for Paris attacks
Obama, Netanyahu at White House seek to mend US-Israel ties
China, not Canada, is top US trade partner
Tu first Chinese to win Nobel Prize in Medicine
Huntsman says Sino-US relationship needs common goals
Geared to go
The place to be