Beijing to play role in Afghan settlement
Updated: 2016-01-12 19:58
By Wang Qingyun(chinadaily.com.cn)
China is willing to play a constructive role in the reconciliation process of Afghanistan, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei on Tuesday.
Hong's comment came after officials from Pakistan, Afghanistan, China and the United States met in Islamabad on Monday and issued a joint statement calling for the Afghan government to start peace talks with Taliban immediately.
Chinese special envoy for Afghanistan Deng Xijun attended the meeting, where all four parties agreed to implement the consensus reached in the fifth foreign ministerial conference of the Istanbul Process held last year and push for a reconciliation process "led and owned by the Afghan people".
China regards the statement positively, and is willing to help on the precondition of respecting Afghan sovereignty and the will of various parties, the realization of long-term peace and stability in Afghanistan, said Hong.
- Spain's Princess Cristina stands trial on tax fraud charges
- Rupert Murdoch, Jerry Hall announce engagement
- Obama to deliver final State of the Union speech
- Annual Coming of Age Day ceremony held in Tokyo
- Drug lord closer to US trial as Mexico starts extradition process
- UN chief slams deadly attack on MSF-supported hospital in Yemen