China to debut new carrier rockets
Updated: 2016-01-16 15:10
BEIJING - China will send two new models of carrier rocket in the Long March series on their maiden space trips in 2016, the China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASC) said on Saturday.
The country's strongest carrier rocket, Long March-5 has a payload capacity of 25 tons to low Earth orbit, or 14 tons to geostationary transfer orbit. It is scheduled to carry the Chang'e-5 lunar probe around 2017 to finish the last chapter in China's three-step (orbiting, landing and return) moon exploration program.
According to a CASC statement, which did not specify either of the rockets' missions this year, Long March-5 is currently being tested at a launch site in south China's Hainan Province.
A medium-sized rocket using liquid propellants, Long March-7 will carry up to 13.5 tons to low Earth orbit or 5.5 tons to sun-synchronous orbit at a height of 700 km. It will carry cargo craft for the planned space station.
"The two carrier rockets' maiden flights will significantly boost our country's ability to enter space and help realize leapfrog development in our space transportation system," said the CASC.
Both rockets were developed by the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology under the CASC.
According to the statement, the academy will be responsible for the launch of 15 space missions this year, covering manned space projects, China's satellite navigation system and satellites for civilian and commercial uses.
- Massive dinosaur skeleton will spill out of hall at NY museum
- Pakistan confirms detention of top suspect of Indian airbase attack
- US sailors made 'navigational error' into Iranian waters
- 14 killed in tour bus crash in central Japan
- Blasts and gunfight in Jakarta leave six dead
- Jakarta police headquarters in first-security alert
- For police officers, duty is all in a day's work
- Children at Chinese embassy in US send wishes to Dorian
- People prepare for Chinese New Year
- Souvenirs and Apps make a refreshing Palace Museum
- Monkey portraits by Chinese ink painting masters
- SWAT members hold romantic wedding in E China
- Stephane Peterhansel regains Dakar Rally lead
- Goodbye to steam trains
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
National Art Museum showing 400 puppets in new exhibition
Finest Chinese porcelains expected to fetch over $28 million
Monkey portraits by Chinese ink painting masters
Beijing's movie fans in for new experience
Obama to deliver final State of the Union speech
Shooting rampage at US social services agency leaves 14 dead
Chinese bargain hunters are changing the retail game
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Geared to go
The place to be