Over 1,000 coal mines in China to be shut down
Updated: 2016-01-17 11:34
By LYU CHANG(chinadaily.com.cn)
China will shut down more than 1,000 coal mines in Guizhou, Yunnan, Heilongjiang and Jiangxi provinces as parts of efforts to trim production capacity, a top work safety watchdog said on Friday.
Huang Yuzhi, deputy director of State Administration of Work Safety, the country's top safety regulator, said that China reached its target by controlling the total number of coal mines within 10,000m and will continue its efforts to reduce outdated capacity this year.
"More than 1,300 coal mines were closed last year, and small coal mines with a scale of annual production of less than 300,000 tons that had major accidents will be gradually closed this year, as well as those mines that are operating illegally," Huang said.
The total number of coal mines in China stands at 9,624.
China, the world's largest energy consumer, plans to stop approving new coal mines for the next three years.
Contact the writer at email@example.com
- Tennessee couple first to claim Powerball jackpot
- Kerry to visit China in late January
- Getting to know the New Normal
- Massive dinosaur skeleton will spill out of hall at NY museum
- Pakistan confirms detention of top suspect of Indian airbase attack
- US sailors made 'navigational error' into Iranian waters
- For police officers, duty is all in a day's work
- Children at Chinese embassy in US send wishes to Dorian
- People prepare for Chinese New Year
- Souvenirs and Apps make a refreshing Palace Museum
- Monkey portraits by Chinese ink painting masters
- SWAT members hold romantic wedding in E China
- Stephane Peterhansel regains Dakar Rally lead
- Goodbye to steam trains
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
National Art Museum showing 400 puppets in new exhibition
Finest Chinese porcelains expected to fetch over $28 million
Monkey portraits by Chinese ink painting masters
Beijing's movie fans in for new experience
Obama to deliver final State of the Union speech
Shooting rampage at US social services agency leaves 14 dead
Chinese bargain hunters are changing the retail game
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Geared to go
The place to be