China starts emergency food aid plan to Africa
Updated: 2016-02-18 03:59
BEIJING -- China's Ministry of Commerce (MOC) on Wednesday started an emergency food aid plan to Africa after the continent was hit by poor harvest, a MOC statement said.
The MOC will draw up detailed aid measures in coordination with relevant departments and set about to carry out the plan, according to the statement.
China is greatly concerned about the poor harvest caused by El Nino in many African countries. It will provide one billion yuan ($156 million) emergency food aid to the affected countries, as Chinese President Xi Jinping announced in December last year in Johannesburg when attending the summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation.
- Ticket scalpers face crackdown at Beijing hospitals
- Judicial DNA test in hot demand after policy change
- Lanterns light up the night across China
- Kazakh judge goes the extra mile to help ethnic villagers
- One of the two dead sperm whales in East China salvaged
- Paid menstrual leave provokes controversy in China
- Britain scrambles fighters to intercept Russian bombers
- Chinese community to protest against Peter Liang's verdict
- Car bomb attack on military in Turkish capital kills 28
- Turkey's Erdogan says to fight forces behind Ankara bombing
- 'Grim Sleeper' murder trial begins six years after arrest
- Cameron defends EU deal as lawmakers offer no guarantees