Gobi has been found! Marathon-running stray dog reunites with owner
Updated: 2016-08-25 16:41
(People's Daily Online)
[Photo/Twitter account of Dion Leonard]
An Australian marathon runner has found his missing stray dog Gobi, whom he first encountered when the dog persistently followed during a marathon in Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region.
The pair, Gobi and Dion Leonard, touched many hearts as the local stray followed Leonard throughout the 7-day, 250-kilometer marathon across mountains and deserts in Hami prefecture.
The 41-year-old Leonard then decided to bring Gobi back home to Scotland, and launched a campaign to raise money for the expenses. However, Gobi, who was due to arrive in Beijing this week to start a four-month process of medical checks before flying to the UK in time for Christmas, instead went missing in Urumqi, China Daily reported.
Leonard returned to Urumqi on Aug 21 and began his search for Gobi, which quickly went viral on Chinese social media. The Facebook page "Bring Gobi Home" currently has over 17,500 followers.
The good news came late on Wednesday when the page announced that Gobi had been found.
"She's safe & well, a wee sore leg but over joyed to see Dion as you will see in the video! Sticks to him like glue! A massive thank you to all the support, especially the group of Volunteers that have been working tirelessly to find her!" the page wrote.
- Prince William and Kate visit charity orgarnization in Luton
- China welcomes Japan to play constructive role in G20 summit
- Expert: G20 ushers in collective leadership
- Turkey to provide support for anti-IS operation in Jarablus
- China, Japan, S. Korea should work to make differences controllable
- Several killed after strong quake strikes Italy, topples buildings
- World's top 10 largest banks by assets
- Sand sculptures to welcome the G20 Summit
- Historical towns before and after Italy's earthquake
- College prepares 300 sleeping mats for parents
- Ten photos from around China: Aug 19 – 25
- Top 5 fitness bands in customer satisfaction
- Orangutan goes shopping in Southwest China
- Prince William and Kate visit charity orgarnization
Anti-graft campaign targets poverty relief
Cherry blossom signal arrival of spring
In pictures: Destroying fake and shoddy products
China's southernmost city to plant 500,000 trees
Cavers make rare finds in Guangxi expedition
Cutting hair for Longtaitou Festival
Today's Top News
Trump outlines anti-terror plan, proposing extreme vetting for immigrants
Phelps puts spotlight on cupping
US launches airstrikes against IS targets in Libya's Sirte
Ministry slams US-Korean THAAD deployment
Two police officers shot at protest in Dallas
Abe's blame game reveals his policies failing to get results
Ending wildlife trafficking must be policy priority in Asia
Effects of supply-side reform take time to be seen
Geared to go
The place to be