Boy with leukemia overcomes lonely hospital trips, keeps studying

Updated: 2016-09-28 15:46

By Ma Chi(

  Print Mail Large Medium  Small 分享按钮 0
Boy with leukemia overcomes lonely hospital trips, keeps studying

Shi Luyao cries when talking about the experiences of going to hospital to receive leukemia treatment on his own. [Photo by Guiyang Evening Daily]

To not miss any class and save cost, an 11-year-old boy overcame the pain of leukemia treatment and traveled for hundreds of kilometers between his home and the hospital in one day for one year, reported Guiyang Evening Daily on Tuesday.

Shi Luyao is from Bengjing village in Liupanshui city, Guizhou province. His mother left him when Shi was two years old because of poverty and never came back. The boy has lived with his grandparents since then. When Shi was in third grade, his father took him to Anhui province where he was working.

In 2013, their life was disrupted. Shi developed high fever and medical check-up showed that he had acute lymphocytic leukemia, a type of leukemia commonly seen in children.

To cure the disease, the boy had to receive long-term chemotherapy. "My son, you must hold on. I will save you by all means," said the boy's father in encouragement.

The medical bill for leukemia treatment was high. As the hospital was not in Shi's home province, only 30 percent of the bill was covered by insurance, Shi's father was forced to borrow 200,000 yuan ($30,000) in close to two years.

In the later stage of the chemotherapy, Shi was cared for by his grandma because his father had to go back to work to earn money to afford the treatment.

Long trip to hospital

In August 2015, Shi was sent back to his hometown in Guizhou province after his condition got better. But he had to have bone marrow biopsy on an irregular basis to monitor the situation.

To ease the financial burden on his family, the boy started going to hospital in Kunming, more than 400 kilometers away from his home, to receive treatment himself. He first went to Liupanshui city by bus where he took a train heading for Kunming.

The first time he went to receive treatment himself, the boy waited for six hours at the railway station to catch the train heading for Kunming at 3 am. "I wanted to cry, but I did not as I did not want other people to know I was all by myself," said Shi.

Previous Page 1 2 Next Page