Marin beats Nehwal to win All-England Open title
Updated: 2015-03-09 14:48
BIRMINGHAM, England - World champion Carolina Marin added the All-England Open badminton title to her growing collection on Sunday, leaving Saina Nehwal to rue a mid-match capitulation in her bid to become India's first female winner.
The 24-year-old from Hyderabad held leads of 6-1 and 10-6 in the second before the Spaniard fought back to win 16-21, 21-14, 21-7 after 62 minutes.
"I was making too many easy mistakes and was really nervous at the start, so I wanted to enjoy it after that," Marin said. "In the second game and at 11-9 down I felt there was a change and that I could win."
China's Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei, the world and Olympic champions, beat Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir of Indonesia 21-10, 21-10 to clinch the mixed doubles' title.
- China asks conscience of Japan 70 years after war
- UK police detain trespasser who climbed to Parliament's roof
- Two suspects held over murder of Russian opposition leader
- A year on, what's the latest in the hunt for Flight 370?
- China asks Sri Lanka to protect interests of investors over suspended port project
- Chinese, Myanmar diplomats hold consultation on relations