Ten and counting for China coach with world record trophy haul
Updated: 2015-11-05 17:08
By Yang Jie(chinadaily.com.cn)
China coach Li Yongbo receives recognition from Guinness World Records representatives for winning the most Sudirman Cups, Oct 29, 2015. [Photo/ Guinness World Records Weibo]
The badminton coach who has led the Chinese national team to the most Sudirman Cup triumphs has been honored by Guinness World Records.
Li Yongbo, 53, a former professional player, began coaching the national team after retiring from playing in 1993, a year after badminton had become an Olympic sport.
At the time the national team was at a low ebb because available players were either inexperienced or about to retire.
His overhaul initially failed to pay dividends, but his career turned around in 1995 when the team won its first Sudirman Cup. Since then Li has led China to nine more victories, in 1997, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015, only missing out in 2003.
The Sudirman Cup, for the world mixed team championship, takes place biennially, and features five matches in every round: men’s and women's singles, men’s and women's doubles and mixed doubles. The trophy is named in memory of Dick Sudirman, a former Indonesian player and official. The tournament was launched in 1989, three years after his death..
The Thomas Cup, for the world men's team championships, and the Uber Cup, for the world women's team championships, make up the three major team tournaments hosted by the Badminton World Federation.
- Badminton champ Lin Dan leaves PLA to focus on endorsements
- Provincial badminton game opens in Wuxi
- China's Chen beat Lee Chong Wei to retain world badminton crown
- More Chinese seeded players win qualifying matches in World Badminton Championship
- Karamay makes its mark in national badminton competition
- PLA Navy fleet pays visit to Florida
- Top Gun: Breathtaking moments of China Air Force
- Peace Ark docks at San Diego
- Clinton calls for US minimum wage increase to $12 an hour
- High-level exchanges between China and Vietnam
- Photographer presents 'aristopets'
- Photograph portraying Chinese fishermen wins top prize
- World's top 10 economies for doing business
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
China, not Canada, is top US trade partner
Tu first Chinese to win Nobel Prize in Medicine
Huntsman says Sino-US relationship needs common goals
Xi pledges $2 billion to help developing countries
Young people from US look forward to Xi's state visit: Survey
US to accept more refugees than planned
Li calls on State-owned firms to tap more global markets
Apple's iOS App Store suffers first major attack
Geared to go
The place to be