Man may face charge in fatal road rage case

Updated: 2016-08-05 11:34

By Ai Heping in New York(China Daily USA)

  Print Mail Large Medium  Small 分享按钮 0

New York prosecutors may file homicide charges in the death of a 68-year-old Chinese man who was punched into a coma by a motorist in a fit of road rage.

Chun Tse's vehicle collided with 44-year-old Cleamon Anderson's car in front of Anderson's home in Flushing on July 22, according to the New York Daily News.

The two drivers got out of their vehicles and Anderson hit Tse in the head, knocking him to the ground a few steps from the senior center where Tse, a retired carpenter, volunteered five days a week, the newspaper reported.

Tse fractured his skull and bruised his brain, which then started bleeding and swelling. He was rushed to New York-Presbyterian/Queens hospital, where he died on July 30.

His death was ruled a homicide by the Medical Examiner on Monday.

Anderson was charged with assault following the initial attack and released on $50,000 bail, the News reported. His sister, Robin Anderson Scott, a New York Police Department school safety agent, was suspended after she was accused of lying to investigators about what happened to Tse, according to the newspaper.

She told responding officers Tse had accidentally fallen, but police later viewed video showing Tse being knocked out by her brother, officials said.

"This was a man twice his size, half his age and over a stupid dispute," state Assemblyman Ron Kim said.

"We should look at every measure to send a strong message that in this city in this town we are going to protect our seniors especially against bullies who are obviously unfit to be driving or walking around the street."

Jinsheng Jane Qiu, the program director at the center where Tse volunteered, told the News that Tse regularly contributed his skills as a retired carpenter. "He repaired our kitchen equipment. He repaired our ping pong table. He helped us... The seniors are angry, scared and upset."

"The family is pretty devastated - it's been a pretty rough 10 days," said Karlin Chen, a spokesman for the Tse family, told the News.