Official: 3 dead, 2 hurt in US midair crash
Updated: 2014-10-24 09:34
The wreckage of a Cirrus SR 22 airplane is shown in this handout photo courtesy of WBAL-TV/SkyTeam11, near Frederick Municipal Airport in Frederick, Maryland October 23, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]
FREDERICK, Maryland - A fire department official says three people were killed and two others were injured when an airplane and a helicopter collided in midair at an airport in Maryland.
Capt. Kevin Fox of Frederick County Fire and Rescue says the collision at Frederick Municipal Airport occurred at 3:40 pm.
He says it's not clear how the collision occurred or which victims were aboard which aircraft.
The injured victims were taken to a trauma center in Hagerstown. Fox did not know the extent of their injuries.
Aerial footage from WJZ-TV in Baltimore showed an airplane that had crashed into a stand of trees.
The airport opened in 1948. It has two runways.
- Xinjiang publishes anti-terror brochures
- Security pact sealed with Afghanistan
- President Xi encourages international cultural exchanges
- Premier Li: China willing to help Afghan infrastructure
- Chinese FM: China, Asia-Pacific become community of shared destiny
- Foreign minister remarks on possibility of China-Japan summit