China-Africa Project Hope finishes 23 schools
Updated: 2015-09-30 04:03
By HOU LIQIANG(chinadaily.com.cn)
Lu Junqing speaks at a news conference on Tuesday in Nairobi, Kenya. Hou Liqiang / China Daily
Also announced at the news conference was that 19 Chinese entrepreneurs each donated 10,000 yuan ($1,570) to fund libraries in 23 schools that have been completed under China-Africa Project Hope. Hou Liqiang / China Daily
China-Africa Project Hope, which plans to build 1,000 primary schools in Africa, has completed the first 23, Lu Junqing, chairman of the project, announced at a news conference on Tuesday in Nairobi.
Lu said the new hope schools will be built in five African countries, including Zambia and Ethiopia, but he didn't disclose the exact number.
The 23rd hope primary school, which was funded by the Tianjiu Happiness Holding Group of China, was completed on Sept 3 in Omarheke province, Namibia. The other schools are in Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi and Rwanda. The 23 schools help more than 10,000 children receive an education, according to the project.
Also at the conference, it was announced that 19 Chinese entrepreneurs each donated 10,000 yuan ($1,570) to libraries in the 23 schools.
In 2010, the World Eminent Chinese Business Association, the China Youth Development Foundation and the and Tianjiu Happiness Holding Group decided to bring the Project Hope into Africa, and jointly launched "China-Africa Project Hope".
Lu himself donated $16 million, and his daughter Lu Xingyu, who is now the executive chairwoman and secretary general of the project, donated $160,000, which she claimed was all of her savings. She also vowed to devote herself to the project and never go into business or be official in her whole life.
Lu Junqing said that China-Africa Project Hope is an international charity project with no conditions attached. "This is a kind of pure love. We did so in the past, do it now, and will continue to do so forever," he said.
He said he wishes China-Africa Project Hope can bring more happiness to people in Africa and strengthen the friendship between the two countries. "At the same time, through the project, we wish people all over the world can see that the growth of China will not threaten anyone and can bring more happiness to the world."
- Typhoon Dujuan makes landfall, disrupts traffic
- China announces contribution to EU's 315 billion-euro investment plan
- Chinese population may face sharp drop from 2017
- Plan in pipeline to save groundwater
- Forbidden City visitor cap to stay during holiday
- Watch your behavior overseas, Chinese tourists told
- Iranian President calls Iran deal victory over war
- LatAm experts praise Xi on yuan, globalization
- Evidence found of summertime water flows on Mars: study
- Dogs surf in contest in California
- France launches air strikes against Islamic State in Syria
- Women's rights are human rights, German chancellor says