Egypt's new parliamentary speaker welcomed by China
Updated: 2016-01-12 21:31
China welcomes the election of a new speaker of the Egyptian parliament, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said on Tuesday.
Egypt's new parliament convened for the first time and elected Ali Abdel-Al as its speaker on Sunday.
"China welcomes and congratulates the establishment of the new Egyptian parliament and the election of a new speaker in its first plenary session, which is an indication of a smooth conclusion of Egypt's political transition," said Hong.
China, which enjoys "traditional friendship" with Egypt, supports the latter's exploration of a development path that suits its national conditions and its efforts to maintain stability, develop economy and improve people's lives, said Hong.
- Spain's Princess Cristina stands trial on tax fraud charges
- Rupert Murdoch, Jerry Hall announce engagement
- Obama to deliver final State of the Union speech
- Annual Coming of Age Day ceremony held in Tokyo
- Drug lord closer to US trial as Mexico starts extradition process
- UN chief slams deadly attack on MSF-supported hospital in Yemen