Chinese envoy to visit Syria
Updated: 2016-04-19 22:23
BEIJING -- China's special envoy to Syria, currently in Geneva for UN talks on the Syrian conflict, will visit Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Russia afterwards to push for a political solution to the conflict, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Tuesday.
Spokesperson Hua Chunying told a daily news briefing that Xie Xiaoyan is meeting with UN officials, members of the Syrian government and the opposition in Geneva during the intra-Syrian talks that resumed on April 13.
UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura is scheduled to meet with the government and opposition delegation this week.
China welcomes the peace talks in Geneva and supports De Mistura's mediation efforts, Hua said.
"China is willing to work with the relevant parties toward a political settlement to the Syrian issue," he said.
- US presidential hopefuls battle for New York on eve of primaries
- AP, Reuters, New York Times among 2016 Pulitzer Prize winners
- US voters' anger over big money in politics mounts
- Japan quake survivors struggle with shortages
- Possible MH370 debris found in S. Africa being examined in Australia
- More cooperation among China, Russia, India in global affairs: Chinese FM